Architectural lighting design is a field within architecture, interior design and electrical engineering that is concerned with the design of lighting systems, including natural light, electric light, or both, to serve human needs.
The design process takes account of:
- The kind of human activity for which lighting is to be provided
- The amount of light required
- The color of the light as it may affect the views of particular objects and the environment as a whole
- The distribution of light within the space to be lighted, whether indoor or outdoor
- The effect of the lightened system itself on the user
The objective of lighting design is the human response, to see clearly and without discomfort. The objective of architectural lighting design is to further the design of architecture or the experience of buildings and other physical structures.